Decorating & Furniture/Colour

I have a 100 year old Federation Home that I am doing up. I have painted the main living arears in cream, which includes the dinning room. I have removed some of the wall between the dinning room and the kitchen. I have put  in wooden kitchen cupboards and bench tops. I can't decide on wall or tile colour. I was thinking of cream and adding colour with window coverings etc. I also like the idea of French Provincial, white tiles and walls, but don't know how that would look with the cream in the dinning room (which has dusky pink carpet).I have a cupboard with glass panels with burgandy roses in the kitchen. I am open to any colour scheme that will fit, but prefer traditional rather than modern. Thank you.

I'd suggest that if you stay in the white family, you may be happiest with the result.  It sounds as though you would prefer to add color through accessories.  If that is true, use different textures and shades/colors of white, then coordinate your burgandy and dusky pink into the mix with draperies and accessories.

Traditional also includes medium to dark-stained wood, so if you have an opportunity to include that, you'll be in keeping with the traditional theme.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology