Decorating & Furniture/Complementing color to Glidden's Toasty Grey

Question
Hi Jenny!
I have been reading a lot of your decorating ideas, and I see you often recommend Glidden's Toasty Grey as a lovely, yet not boring neutral.
We are in the process of sprucing our kitchen. We ripped off the 1970's paneling, and after fixing and spackling, are ready to paint. My husband has his heart set on a chair rail, with a lighter color on top and a darker (possibly sponged over the lighter base coat) on the bottom. Is there another neutral color which complements the Toasty Grey? We have not picked our counter yet, but hope to have an earthy color with black veins running through it to complement our black appliances. Our cabinets are a medium natural wood. Thank you for any help!

Answer
Hi Ellie,

I do often recommend Toasty Grey because it is a beautiful neutral and a giant step away from white.  It's a subtle color that pairs extremely well with white - a great blackdrop for blacks, reds, navy and darker counterparts.  I used it in my kitchen which has lots of stainless and black (cabinets are golden oak) with great success.  What you might consider is using the chair rail (in white) and leaving top and bottom the same color.

Check it out at Home Depot before you commit to a gallon.  I think you'll see why it's one of my favorite shades.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik