Decorating & Furniture/Converting walk in closet to nursery

Hello.  My husband and I are expecting my first child.  We live in a three bedroom house but my two step children are there 1/2 the time so all three bedrooms are occupied.  We have a moderately sized walk in closet that we were thinking of turning into the nursery but don't really have any good ideas on how to make it work.  It's roughly 6x6 with a window on one wall and a door on the wall opposite the window.  My husband envisioned a wall to wall builtin bed and storage area on one of the walls but haven't a clue how to pull it off or design it so it's safe for the baby.  Your thoughts are grealy appreciated!

That's a very tiny space, so everything that can be should be built in.  Your best bet is to consult with a designer in your area to maximize your results.  He/she may "see" a way to eek out additional space from an adjoining room, or may see something that can't be described easily, i.e., the overall space under the window MAY BE a large enough space to house a crib.  A designer will be a great help to you in this space planning, and whatever it costs will be worth it to you and your baby in the long run.  He/she can also help you find a reliable contractor if you need one.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology