Decorating & Furniture/Coordinating paint colors

I am going to be moving in my fiance's home in about a month.  His house is a historic older home and his decor matches the house with antique and lots of Americana pieces and furniture.  While I like most of the style in the home some is a little to manly and I would like to add a bit of brightness to it without overwhelming him.  My main areas that I am going to be working on first are the kitchen and the bathroom.  The kitchen is really nice with lots of wood trim wood flooring and a wood ceiling.  The problems are not much light and old wallpaper with ducks and flowers.  He painted some of the trim blue and  I was thinking of trying to go french country in that room but the only thing I can think of to start would be to get rid of the wallpaper and paint the walls butter yellow and sort of try and go with a  blue and yellow theme to brighten things up.  Where would I go from there??  The bathroom is pretty large and consists of a toilet and small vanity and tub/shower combo.  The top of the walls is painted hunter green as is the vanity and the bottom and linen closet doors are all wood in a medium oak color.  I am trying to find an accent color to brighten up this room and was thinking burgundy but any other color suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks so much.

Thanks for writing.  Start by taking down the wallpaper.  If you want a french country feel, you can indeed use a buttery yellow for the walls.  As far as going from there forward, you can add some "rustic" or aged pieces as art, add some long stemmed grasses or flowers in metal floor containers, and generally stick with a blue/yellow/cream combination.  Adding some beautiful toile to the space by way of curtains, napkins or tablerunners will add some french country charm as well.   

As for the bath, I'd opt for a shade of red - probably more of a cranberry color than burgandy, although you can use burgandy and cream as accents.  

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology