Decorating & Furniture/Cornices

We recently bought an older house (built about 1967)and two of the bedrooms have wooden cornices (I think that is the proper name) above the windows. They are painted white as is the bedrooms and they are permanently attached...not removable.   My question is what to do in the way of window coverings? I just have white venetain blinds on the windows at the moment. Would a valance matching the bedding be ok?  Or should I use curtains?  Or just leave it the way I have it now?  Never saw a home with these so not sure what to do with them. Any suggestions?  

Hi Billie,

Thanks for writing and for your question about cornices.  You are extremely fortunate to have these beauties!  You have no idea how many of my clients have me build them!  

The cornices are meant to be "toppers" if you will to a window treatment.  If what you have now are white blinds, that's fine.  When you do want to add fabric treatments to the windows, use some sort of drape or curtain that will fit underneath your cornice.  You can use tab tops, rod pockets or sheers.  Don't add a valance - that's really redundant with the cornices.  

If you want to paint them, do so.  Or if you like the fact that they match the other moldings in your room, you can certainly leave them painted white.  Add wall color...don't leave those thirsty walls white!  Coordinate your color based on your favorites.  The color choice could come from your bedding, a favorite color, a favorite fabric or even one of your favorite pieces of clothing!  Adding color, leaving the cornices white and adding a drapery or curtain fabric to coordinate with your bedding will make your room look quite stylish!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology