Decorating & Furniture/Counter Tops and Wooden Floors

Question
I will be re-configuring nearly the complete interior floor plan of the ground floor of my 40-year old, two story, 2400 sq. ft. home, as soon as the architect completes his drawings. I am perplexed  as to what kind of stone, or stone-like, counter tops are most practical for my kitchen and bathrooms.  Also, many types of wooden floors seem to be available.  I am likewise confused about which to choose here.  Please help. Thanks.

Answer
Counter tops and flooring choices are abundant.  Depending on the use and look you want, the choices lessen.  

Counter tops are available in solid surfaces, stone (both natural and composite), laminates, ceramic/porceline tile or concrete.  The easiest to maintain are the solid surfaces.  There's an abundance of styles, colors etc. in laminates or corian-types.  Stone such as marble or granite are pourous and require special cleaning/handling.  Silestone (quartz + composition) is durable, solid and easy to maintain/clean.  Tile is durable, but grout maintenance is on-going.  Concrete is a good choice for durability and comes in lots of different colors.  

I'd opt for corian or silestone.

Floors - hardwood, ceramic tile, wood-laminates, linoleum.  Most practical?  Hardwood or ceramic tile.  My favorite (which I have in my own home) - wood laminate.  Easy to care for and clean.  The only drawback is that it is NOT water tolerant, and therefore troublesome in bathrooms.  Your best bet there?  Ceramic tile.  

Hope this helps.

Jenny

Silestone

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik