Decorating & Furniture/Countertops

We a kitchen with light almond ceramic tile and dark brown cabinets (ala 80s style).  We need to replace the countertops as well.  Should we go with a lighter countertop to match the flooring or a darker to match the cabinets or something in between.  Thank you for your advice.

- Stratton

Hi Stratton.  I always hesitate to advise on things like this because it's difficult when you don't know the people (and their tastes) and you can't get a sense for their style.  

Personally, I'd opt for a solid surface counter top, and I'd more than likely coordinate it with the floor AND the cabinets.  If you opt for a more "all one color" (monochromatic) scheme, your accessories can add any color you want.  I always recommend neutrals in the higher-priced objects (countertops and cabinets) because they are not likely to change.  If you change your mind about colors, you can always replace inexpensive accessories (towels, pot-holders, canisters and the like) much more easily.

Now, if you prefer a bold look, make your countertops dark in color (blacks, browns are "in" now and available in more affordable solid surfaces like Silestone) and keep your cabinets and flooring lighter.  

Sorry if this didn't help you decide.  There's no rules when it comes to color.  It depends more on what you like than anything else.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology