Decorating & Furniture/Curtain color help

I have to pick out my curtains and I'm a bit unsure about the color to choose. I have modern furniture and I like that theme. The Living room is decorated with a pale yellow on the walls and natural colored elements (cherry wood furniture, hard wood floor, natural color sisal rug, ecrù colored sofa) and blue is used as an accent color. The room is light and airy. Should I match the curtains to the wall color (pale yellow) the sofa (ecrù) or contrast with blue? I'd like to have light sheer curtains to let light flow in. thnks for the help.

Thanks for writing.  If you want sheer curtains, please stick to the ecru.  Modern furniture lends itself more toward texture than color, and the style is more "fitted" than "flouncy".  

What you might consider is using a sheer PLUS a drape; a tailored button tab drape in an ecru.  The other suggestion I'd have is to combine your three colors in a pin-striped drape, plus sheers.  (It's probably obvious that sheers to me are not a finished window product.)  By combining the three colors in draperies, you've tied the room together, kept it sleek and still maintained an airy feel.

PS:  You may find fabric and create your own "scarf" treatment to frame the windows.  This is easily done by hemming both ends and draping the fabric over decorative rods or hooks.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology