Decorating & Furniture/Curtain color help

Question
I have to pick out my curtains and I'm a bit unsure about the color to choose. I have modern furniture and I like that theme. The Living room is decorated with a pale yellow on the walls and natural colored elements (cherry wood furniture, hard wood floor, natural color sisal rug, ecrù colored sofa) and blue is used as an accent color. The room is light and airy. Should I match the curtains to the wall color (pale yellow) the sofa (ecrù) or contrast with blue? I'd like to have light sheer curtains to let light flow in. thnks for the help.

Answer
Ann,  

Thanks for writing.  If you want sheer curtains, please stick to the ecru.  Modern furniture lends itself more toward texture than color, and the style is more "fitted" than "flouncy".  

What you might consider is using a sheer PLUS a drape; a tailored button tab drape in an ecru.  The other suggestion I'd have is to combine your three colors in a pin-striped drape, plus sheers.  (It's probably obvious that sheers to me are not a finished window product.)  By combining the three colors in draperies, you've tied the room together, kept it sleek and still maintained an airy feel.

Jenny

PS:  You may find fabric and create your own "scarf" treatment to frame the windows.  This is easily done by hemming both ends and draping the fabric over decorative rods or hooks.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik