Decorating & Furniture/Curtain / draperie length

Hello Rachel,

My wife and I were just discussing putting up some kind of draperies or curtains for our living room windows.  Currently we have some pretty nice blinds with the real wide slats that look pretty good, and we want to keep those, but thought some kind of curtains or draperies might add a homey touch.  Most likely my wife will make the curtains herself since she's pretty handy with a sewing machine.  Our main question to you is:  What is the current fashion trend in length of window treatments?  We see shows on TV like Trading Spaces where in most cases the treatment goes all the way to the floor.  Our windows are 6 ft long by the way.  Also, is it better to tie them up off to the side creating that kind of swoop at the top, or to just let them hang straight down to the side?

Any input you can give us will be greatly appreciated.

-Brady, and Kimberly

Dear Brady and Kimberly,
  Drapery will definently make the home feel more homey. What kind of style is your home? Traditional, modern, country etc.?
It is most pleasing if it goes to the floor or just below the window sill. When it is put somewhere in between the floor and the sill, it doesnt look as nice. You can add more drama if it puddles on the floor, but you must use the right fabric to achieve this look. Fabrics that are thinner and more flexible like dupioni silk would look beautiful.
Here is an example:

Do the windows get alot of light? It is nice to beable to tie them to the side if you want the light in or dont get alot of light. Most people dont keep up with ties but having a metal tie back is easy enough to use. More modern and contemporary interiors are left loose. A more traditional or country interior would be more decorative and would be tied and possible have a valance.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions please feel free to email me at

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book