Decorating & Furniture/Curtains for living room

Question
I need curtain help!  I'm trying to decide what color of curtains to get for my living room.  We have an old house so we have nice, dark woodwork and hardwood floors.  The walls in the living room are grey - the old owners used a sponge so the walls almost look like grey leather although it is very faint.  Our couch is a solid plum with plaid and flower pillows.  The colors in the plaid and flowers are plum, mustard, olive, and burgandy.  Our recliner matches the plaid pillows but has more olive in it.  

Are my wisest choices the colors in the couch pillows?  I'd like to go nuetral in case we get new furniture some day but the greyish walls seem to severly limit the choices.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Answer
Carrie,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  The room sounds nice, and I normally recommend that one incorporate every color within the space into the draperies.  It sounds as though you're good at color coordinating - you've added interest with the plaid and floral.  If you can coordinate yet another print (maybe a stripe???) by way of draperies, it would truly be beautiful.  

Unless you're planning to spend a fortune (I hope not) on draperies, I'd get something to go with your current scheme.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik