Decorating & Furniture/Curtains for living room

I need curtain help!  I'm trying to decide what color of curtains to get for my living room.  We have an old house so we have nice, dark woodwork and hardwood floors.  The walls in the living room are grey - the old owners used a sponge so the walls almost look like grey leather although it is very faint.  Our couch is a solid plum with plaid and flower pillows.  The colors in the plaid and flowers are plum, mustard, olive, and burgandy.  Our recliner matches the plaid pillows but has more olive in it.  

Are my wisest choices the colors in the couch pillows?  I'd like to go nuetral in case we get new furniture some day but the greyish walls seem to severly limit the choices.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for writing and for your question.  The room sounds nice, and I normally recommend that one incorporate every color within the space into the draperies.  It sounds as though you're good at color coordinating - you've added interest with the plaid and floral.  If you can coordinate yet another print (maybe a stripe???) by way of draperies, it would truly be beautiful.  

Unless you're planning to spend a fortune (I hope not) on draperies, I'd get something to go with your current scheme.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology