Decorating & Furniture/DECK FURNITURE?

Question
We just built a beautiful, big, wooden deck off our kitchen overlooking the woods in our CT home.  Now we need to buy furniture and we don't know if there is "appropriate" furniture?  All the photos we see show furniture on patios, pools, or grassy yards - never just a deck!  We are willing to spend the money on a nice wooden table/chairs or wrought iron but I don't know if that is the right application for them and I'm also wondering if these chairs are too heavy and will scratch the deck?  I usually see the cast aluminum stuff on decks but is that because it is best on a deck or because it is cheaper?

Our house is a traditional center hall colonial.

Thanks for your time.

Answer
Dear Pierette,
   In my opinion I think it looks best if you use wooden furniture with nice outdoor cushions on a deck. There is also some nice wicker furniture on the market. Check out Woodard's Bombay collection for all year round wicker furniture:
http://woodard-furniture.com/showroom_prod_list.asp?scid=43&gpcid=3

I would say that wrought iron is going to break down the deck more than wicker or wood. Cast Aluminum is mostly less expensive and it is not the best quality for all year round. The wood can stay nice all year round if you oil it or if you want you could not oil it and it will go to a weathered gray color. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Rachel Mallon
www.rmdesignco.com
rminteriordecor@yahoo.com

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID