Decorating & Furniture/Dark Narrow uninviting livingroom dungeon

I hope you can help me come up with some new ideas. I have a narrow dark living room the dimensions are 8' x 20'. The carpet color is sage. The walls are champagne.  There is a unused sliding glass door on one wall (this is the only natural light in the room).  I have curtained this entire wall to soften it and make it disappear behind our loveseat.  The room has a slanted decorative wall opposing the sliders.  At the very tip end of the room is a wood burning stove set against the required brick.  We use the stove often in the wintertime.  We have a natural solid maple clean lined entertainment armoire that keeps everything neat and hidden inside. We would love to move the armoire next to/cattycorner to the wood burning stove. We are afraid it would create a unbalanced feeling to the room making the end of the room chunky since the armoire is 7' tall and the pipe and brick for the stove reach the ceiling.  We have a cream loveseat and a comfy 1950's Eames style black leather chair in the room with a small natural maple coffee table.  Do you have any ideas how to make this room new, different and more inviting? I need more seating area to entertain.  If you require any photos I would be glad to send them to you.

Thanks so much,

One suggestion would be to match the wall color to the carpeting color.  That will give you a larger "feeling" visually.  Opposite the sliders, use a large decorative mirror to again visually open the space and reflect the natural light.  If you don't want to put one large mirror, you can use several (unless you are a believer in Feng Shui which says you should not break apart an image in a mirror by using groups of them).  

The large armoire should go on the opposite end of the room for balance. Try putting your sofa/loveseat opposite the sliders, your chair in front of the fabric drape (good idea by the way) and angle the chair toward the armoire in the warmer months and toward the fireplace in the colder ones.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology