Decorating & Furniture/Dark floors, whats next?

I recently replaced light carpet with a dark cherry wood floor, because I couldn't find the right tone of light pink toned washed oak, which matches my cabinets. But the floor butts up to a very light tile, and I don't like the cabinets next to the floor now either.  Everything just seems so dark and disjointed now.  I am thinking of replacing the cabinets with white, and painting the walls a very light color--not sure what color--ivory or light taupe.  Do you think I would be making a mistake?  

Thanks for writing. Sounds like you are on the right track. I would suggest you have your cabinetry be either a honey wheat color wood or white, but not bright white white. If you are going to go with a white cabinet, it is going to need to be a cream/off white otherwise you will have the same problem you are having with your flooring butting up to the white. A cream cabinet and cherry flooring will look so rich. You are really going to be happy with that!

As far as the wall, a taupe is an excellent choice. Otherwise if you want to bring in a color, try an olive green. As far as hardware, try a brushed nickle or bronze or even black. For countertops, go with a sand colored stone and use stainless steel accents or appliences.

Good luck and as always, I encourage you to send pictures of your completed projects to

Decorating & Furniture

Benjamin Cottrell

I can answer any questions on interior design including color, room arrangment, floor and space planning, lighting, fabric, furniture, and where to buy home decorating products.

Residential design and Architecture as well as landscape design, visual merchandising, and sales.

College graduate