Decorating & Furniture/Dark interior den

I have an interior english tudor style den which I love but is too dark during the day requiring a lot of artificial light.  How can best bring daylight in (tight budget)?  We have french doors onto a covered patio.  Do you think if I add transom style windows above the doors it would make a difference or should I be looking at some type of skylight or well?  The room is 18' x20' with a vaulted ceiling.  

Thanks for writing.  Your tudor style den can be lightened up with some wonderful mirrors.  Place them in areas where the natural light comes in, allowing it to reflect in the mirror.  Secondly, the transom would help of course, but that's a pretty expensive propostion, as are skylights.  

The other thing you can consider is lightening up the color with paint.  There's no rule that says the tudor boards have to be darkly painted.  

Add a few inexpensive "up" lights (can lights that sit on the floor and have an on/off switch) behind plants or in corners.  Use a small wattage bulb (20 - 40w) and you'll be amazed at how much cozier it will make the space.  

Remember too - dark colors draw in light and absorb it.  Lighter shades of color reflect light.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology