Decorating & Furniture/Dark room

Question
I have a lovely old victorian home. The dining room is panelled and beamed with mahogany. There is also a big mahogany fireplace. The room is pretty heavy! There is a three window bay along one wall but it faces north and there are many trees blocking natural light. I have just put in four recessed lights. There is a five light chandelier and two standing lamps. My challenge is to find the right paint colors for both the two and a half foot strip above the panelling as well as the ceiling between the beams. The wood is very dark with deep red tones. We have a large oriental with rust reds, golds, blues and tans. The table and chairs are all dark wood. I've tested a sagey green (BM "dill"), a light green and a russet red. I'm leaning towards a good peach or salmon but testing these colors against the wood is proving to be very tricky. Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated. Since it is doomed to be a dark room I'm aiming for a very dramatic and warm atmosphere.  p.s. Are there any books out there that give suggestions to homes with unpainted wood trim and accents?

Answer
Dear Angdev,
     Your dining room sounds beautiful. To get away from all the heaviness you want to choose a light to medium color for your walls and ceiling. I think that a gold color from your rug would look best. Go to this website for an example that I have designed.
http://www.geocities.com/rminteriordecor/diningroom.jpg

I think this gold color will give you that warm , dramatic feeling that you want. GOOD LUCK!

Rachel Mallon
rminteriordecor@yahoo.com

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID