Decorating & Furniture/Decorating

Followup To
Question -
We are finishing the lower level in our home, i.e, fully exposed basement.  In the main room we have patio doors, a window on each side of the patio doors, and another window in the adjacent room.  We are decorating it in a 'northwoods/lodge' theme.  One whole side of the main room is made to look like the outside of a log cabin, in that it has half-log side from floor to ceiling with two soffits (to look like a roof overhang) with wood shag shingles.  The remainder of the room and the adjacent room has knotty pine planking on the lower 36" of the wall and the rest is drywall.  The ceiling is knotty pine planking as well. All of the wood will be stained a light natural color. Given the look I'm trying to acheive, I originally thought of painting the drywall a mossy-sage green and doing a similar color carpeting.  But I'm concerned the room(s) will looked two chopped up.  Then I thought perhaps I should do the carpeting in a tan/beige color to sort of match the wood so it doesn't look so chopped up.  I want it to look warm, cozy, and inviting, but not too dark. Given the look I'm trying to acheive, how would you recommend I coordinate the paint and carpeting colors and/or what colors would you recommend?   Thanks!
Answer -

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Your color choices will actually depend on the amount of natural light you get in the space.  

The wood will absorb a good amount of light, but since it is to be stained a pale shade, your room should not be darkened by it.  I like the idea of a pale sage green as well as a pale sage green carpet.  Green is very earthy and as long as you don't go too dark with the color, you'll be fine.  Your other option of tan/beige is not what I'd recommend because it will cause too much contrast between that color and the wood.  If you fear the green, then at least use a taupe (like coffee with lots of cream) rather than tan.

Thanks for you information/suggestions.....very helpful.  Now I have a couple more questions.  1. The two main rooms might not have knotty pine ceiling as we may have to go with a dropped/hung ceiling, which means the ugly white panels.  Do you recommend painting the ceiling the same color as the walls or just leaving the white (keeping in mind that I'll probably go with the green carpet you recommended)?
2.  The largest/main room is the room that has the floor to ceiling half-log siding, patio doors, a bar, and will be the game room.  The adjacent room will be a family/TV watching room where all the 'furniture' will go.  It is it's own separate room but the entrance into this room is very large and is very open to the main room.  We are going with log furniture...a futon/sofa, a log recliner (that has cushions), a lounge chair with ottoman, two end tables, and a coffee table.  My question is related to how I should coordinate the upholstery/fabrics of the three pieces.  The lounge chair/ottoman has a cabin print (for print see item # 2307 at  The log recliner and futon style (not pattern) are items 'Timberline Quaking Aspen Recliner' and 'Timberwoods Aspen Futon Full Size', respectively, at  So, given the pattern of the lounge chair/ottoman, I was thinking of doing the same pattern for the recliner, but then the futon/sofa that will go between the two on the same wall, should be a solid/tweed green similar to the color of the carpet and wall paint. (Keeping in mind I can't go too dark with the green because of dog hair from a blond colored golden retreiver.) I was just thinking that it might be too much if all three pieces have the cabin print/pattern.  What are your suggestions/recommendations.  

Thanks, again!

Do the ceiling the same as the walls.  As for the upholstered pieces, pick ONE for the cabin print and do the rest in solid colors.  Here's why.  The expense you go through for furniture can be lessened by purchasing these pieces in fabrics that can easily be "dressed up or down" - sort of like the wardrobe's little black dress.  You can add throw pillows, warm cozy throws/quilts etc. in patterns that depict your theme/style.  Then when your tastes change, you don't have to just change your accessory fabrics.  

Busy prints/fabrics are best used as accents.  Stick with neutral fabrics for high-ticket upholstery pieces.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology