Decorating & Furniture/Decorating Around Black Furniture

I am trying to decorate my bedroom, which has black furniture (acutal black, not espresso).  The carpet is a beige color.  The furniture is modern looking in case that should effect the decision.  

My problem is mainly with my paint and my trim.  My paint is white and my wood trim is cherry.  In my opinion, this needs changed!  What color paint for the walls should I use and what color trim?

The white walls create too much contrast with the black bed frame.  To warm up the walls you can use a taupe or a medium to dark shade of camel brown.  A beautiful soft blue or a sage green would be great with the black, the cherry and the carpeting.  Your trim color could really go either white or off-white, but I hesitate to suggest painting over cherry wood!  Before you decide on trim color, select some wall color samples and hold them next to the trim to see how well they coordinate.  And if all else fails, paint the trim too!

PS:  If you have a favorite color, consider painting the walls in that.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology