Decorating & Furniture/Decorating a Foyer

Question
I really need help decorating my entry.  I live in a split level home and when I sit on the sofa in the living room, the large foyer or entry wall is to my left.  I have a console and placed a mirror above it, but it go lost in the large wall.  Wall width is not the problem, but height is my dilemma.  If I place something at eye level (that is entry eye level), then it is too low, when viewed up stairs from the sofa.  What can I do?  Most mirors, etc are not long enough to reach this high?  Note:  I am open to other decorating accessories, and am not limited to mirrors.  I hope I am explaining this well enough.  Please help!

Thanks,
Barbra

Answer
Hello Barbra,
Sounds like a wonderful space!  I have two suggestions:

1.  Use a subtle but rich shade of paint to contrast the wall color and add drama. Make the wall a deliberate focal point.  Add a large painting...in the size to fill the height that you LOVE and would enjoy viewing.  Keep the console table below and of course add accessories on the table. The painting should be the correct size to balance itself on the wall.  Take your time and enjoy the hunting!
From the painting you can pull out the contrasting color to add on the wall.

2.  Use a subtle but rich shade of paint to contrast the wall color and add drama.  Perhaps a color from the living room, but softer in shade.  Add a large floral decoration that complements your home's decor. The floral arrangement or grouping accessories can be tall and the table below wrought iron to give a feel of weightlessness.  Keep it simple but elegant.

Good luck to you!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID

Decorating & Furniture