Decorating & Furniture/Decorating my Master Bedroom

Question
Hello! I recently had some help decluttering our Master Bedroom and am now at a standstill as to how to decorate it. I have the colors down to a taupe-y brown on the walls with red accent pieces that can be switched out for a robin's egg blue color in the places where there is now red if I wanted to. However, I'm left with the dilemma of what to do with this massive plant shelf that runs the entire length of the interior wall of our room. The room itself is a good size ~ approx 12' x 18' (at least ~ I'm not firm on that measurement) so there is plenty of room for both our treadmill and a nice seating area in addition to the basic bed and dressers. BUT WHAT DO I DO WITH THE STINKIN' PLANT SHELF??? :) I would prefer decor that doesn't require a lot of upkeep (ie: dusting), but I don't want it boring, either. I look very forward to your response ~ thank you!
Trayc

Answer
Hi Trayc

I would certainly not suggest you put lots of bits and pieces on the shelf - life's too short for that much dusting!

It is hard to answer the question without actually seeing the shelf but one thing that came to my mind was painting above the shelf in the red that you mention and then have some lighting fitted on the shelf that cannot be seen from floor level but will light upwards and take on the warm glow of the red paint.

This could be really romantic and cast a lovely soft glow in the room - not to mention looking very stylish.

If you don't like the idea of the lighting then I would suggest you just paint above the shelf - again in the red - and leave it at that.  There is a lot to be said for clean lines and empty space and I think this is a case of 'less is more'.

Kind regards

Andrea

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston