Decorating & Furniture/Decorating with Pine

We are moving into a new home with 18' cathedral pine ceilings in the master bedroom as well as pine beams lining the walls (with white walls in between).  We wanted a king sized bed but different colors of wood seem to clash with the pine.  I was thinking I might have to just go with a black iron bed.  Any suggestions? Also the pine beams on the walls are close enough together so that I can't really use a  long dresser with a mirror because it won't fit up against the wall.  I have always had one of these!  Any suggestions for decorating this room, as well as colors that go nicely with pine? If you need a picture I would be happy to send you one, I'm not sure if my description makes sense to you or not.

Thank you,

Hi Michelle,

Unless the pine is a very rustic knotty pine, you can certainly add other wood to the space.  It would be best if combined with a darker, richer wood.  A black iron bed would be great in the space if you like iron.  With that, I'd suggest some glass tables rather than wood, thus adding another texture to the room.  A large bench at the bottom of the bed (with storage) will assist with the contents of a dresser.  

As for colors for the walls, I'd recommend a cool color like a green or a blue - the shade and intensity is up to you.  Pine tends to run on the yellowish side, and with yellow being a warm color, you can pair it with blue very easily (it's color opposite) or green.

Hope this helps you.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology