Decorating & Furniture/Decorating a dorm room

I'm going to be moving into a small single room dorm this fall and I don't know what I'm going to do with the walls.  Because it's a dorm there's only so much you can do to the walls. Hanging framed pictures can be difficult at times because we can't nail things into the wall.  A lot of people just stick up a bunch random posters but it makes the room seem so college-dormy, and I'm also not a big fan of personal photographs...

Do you have any suggestions on how I can cover the ugly bare walls (on a budget) and make the room a pleasant place to spend time?

I know this is kind of a tough question with so many obstacles, but any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Suggestions?  You've come to the right place.  Start by measuring the walls.  Then purchase inexpensive fabric (like a cotton duck cloth, or even as man DROP Cloths as needed)in 1 1/2 times the width and the same depth.  You can suspend the fabric from picture wire (two eye hooks and wire) or you can add an inexpensive rod.  You can cover as much or as little of the wall as you choose in this way, then add "art" that matches your own sensibilities.  You can do "no sew" by making a simple hem with liquid stitch.  It's available at the fabric store.  

Another idea is the new "cling type" bulletin boards.  They are hung with double-sided tape (comes in the kit) and anything sticks to them without need of additional "hangers".  It's available at your local office supply store.

Just think "outside the box" and you'll come up with some other ideas that will personalize your dorm space.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology