Decorating & Furniture/Decorating girl's room

Can you help with any ideas/suggestions for a baby girl's room?  Doing a chair rail with two differnt colors of paing in some hue of pink on the bottom and perrywinkle seems pretty unimaginative.  Any ideas for paint schemes or trim ideas (chair rail, wainscoat, crown, etc..).  Something not extremely expensive but that woiuld be very "girly" yet provide something a little original and not overly complicated for a "weekend warrior"  Thanks very much!

I love kids rooms that have a theme.  Pick something that reminds you of your baby girl and also something that inspires you.  Perhaps she reminds you of a princess and you like the ocean.  Make "her" the beautiful mermaid and surround her with an ocean and schools of fish.  Or paint a large crown (or tiara) above the chair rail and "stencil" the chair rail in a lace.  (Plain white paper doilies work well for this.)

Probably my favorite little girl's room/nursery was done as a result of a thrift store find.  We found an almost life sized carousel horse for less than $100, cleaned it up, put it in the room and took our color cues from it for the walls.  

Take a walk through a thrift store or flea market for ideas, peruse a catalog or two.  A sea shell, a coloring book, a child's toy.  Bottom line, "anything" can be your inspiration.  Once you decide on one object as your focal point, everything else will flow from that.  

Give some thought to your focal point.  If you come up with something, write me back and we'll brainstorm some easy to accomplish ways to tie in.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology