Decorating & Furniture/Decorating a homeschool room

We are converting a 10'6" X 13' bedroom into a homeschool room. Two of the walls will have desks with bookshelves above them. We have a friend who can do this for us. Because my husband does not want to give up any sleeping space in the house, the room also has to have the bunk beds. I have made diagrams that fit everything nicely in the room. My problem is that I don't know for sure what color to paint the room. Obviously, I will paint prior to the shelves being put up.

I want to paint a color that will compliment the learning environment. Each of my three children will have their own built-in desk, so I won't have a lot of wall clutter on the remaining areas of the wall. And I will be staining the wood that will make up the desks and shelves. There are also window trims, door trims, folding closet doors and an entry door to consider. Currently everything is white and not appealing. The floors are a medium wood color.

Hope that explains the situation well enough. Can you help?

Thanks for writing and for your question.  A wonderful color cue comes from nature!  How about bringing a bit of the outdoors inside?  Think in terms of a soothing, cooling green like sage for the walls.  A medium hue would be an excellent choice and will blend with the woodwork as well as the flooring.  Blue is another good choice, but in a medium to dark medium shade.  That's soothing without being either "male" or "female", just like the green.  

Because of your floor color and the stain for the shelves and desks, avoid yellows - too washed out or too vivid - and avoid reds because those color tones evoke hyperactivity and energy.  

Hope this helps you.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology