Decorating & Furniture/Decoration tips for dining/living combo

My husband and I recently purchased our first brand new home, we are still in the process of decorating it one room at a time! We have a room at the entrance of the house which is about 11ftx13ft in size and we would like to decorate this space as a casual living cum dining room so as to seat and entertain about 5 people at a time. It seems very hard to make such a small space comfortable for both options and we have visited several places looked loads of books but to no avail. This room has two large windows which are east facing and so the room is quite nicely lit. Could you please let us know of any ideas that would help. Thanks!

Hi Stephanie.  Thanks for writing.  A room that is 11 x 13 is designed to be "one" room, therein you'll have to be creative to accomplish both eating and living space in there.  

My suggestion would be to purchase one of the tall "pub" height tables that has expansion capability, and put that along with two pub height chairs/stools in the back of the room (for you and your hubby to use).  Store the other chairs/stools in a closet or use in the kitchen, making them available to be "brought in" as guests increase.  Purchase a sleek, straight-line armless couch(if you can find this style in your price range) and two chairs - again, smaller in scale and armless.  Have the chairs and couch face one another and use small scale side tables, OR the relatively new cube ottomans with a single piece of glass on top.  Purchase some quality "tv trays" in wood so that if you have lots of guests or even heavy hors' d'oeuvres, your guests can be comfortable eating.  

By doing this, you can seat 6 persons comfortably (two on the couch; one in each chair; one on each cube ottoman (with the glass removed of course), and up to 4 more people at the pub table.  

If you can't purchase smaller scale furniture and have to work with what you currently have, consider using the pub table at the back of the couch with 2-4 chairs.  

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology