Decorating & Furniture/Decorative columns

Hi Jenny,
I recently purchased a small house with a joint living/dining room.  To the right of the dining room is the kitchen, approx. 150 sq ft.  The only thing separating the kitchen from the dining room was a counter with two rectangular colums, one on each side.  This was a originally a cupboard/pantry, but after hurricane Andrew, they removed the pantry and basically left what I described above.  It looked odd, so I had the columns removed (they weren't load bearing) and left the counter, which can't even be considered an island, because it's not in the middle of the kitchen.  The problem is that now, the kitchen is completely visible from the moment you walk in the foyer; since the counter is low, there seems to be no separation between the living/dining room and kitchen and it looks horrible.  Please help.  Since I hope to one day remodel the kitchen completely, I wouldn't want to spend too much.  

There are a couple of ways you can deal with this, but basically you need to disguise the opening OR use the opening for something decorative and functional.  Decorative and functional includes hanging a pot rack and adding your best pots/pans/gizmos; hanging a beautiful plant or vine, or hanging a piece of "art" there.  That could be anything from suspending two exact sized prints back to back or using a decorative glass piece.

The other thing you could opt for are "room" dividers that are shorter in stature than the typical 7-8 foot high versions.  You could create one from shutters, blinds (suspended) or a decorative curtain.

These are all stop-gap measures that will hopefully help you out.

Regards, Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology