Decorating & Furniture/Denim Furniture

Question
Julie,

I just bought a house that has a den with dark grey walls.  It has a corner fire place and large bay window with lots of sunlight.  The trim is a glossy bright white.  I have denim furniture with an American Flag decor.  My furniture is only a couple of years old and I have no plans to change my theme.  My last den had the bottom third painted a deep red with the top painted cream.  It had stars and hearts border to cover the two paints.  It looked good in that room.  This den has a brick fire place in the corner with white molding.  Without having the same look again, got any ideas on what color to paint the walls?

Answer
Hi Giselle,

Thanks for writing and congratulations on your new home!!  There are several different ways you could go with your paint, etc... You could put white bead board on the lower portion of the wall (you can purchase this at Lowes, etc) which will give you a bright color near the floor and provide a sharp contrast to the denim.  Or... you could paint the bottom part of the walls in wide blue and white stripes (consult a book/website on how to do this)to provide visual interest on the lower portion of the walls.  There are so many things to consider... the size of the room, etc.  Of course, if you didn't have a flag motif there would be many additional ways to go, however, with the good old red, white and blue... you are limited.  The object here is to do something different but keep your three main colors the same.... a must when doing a flag motif.  If you do too many colors you can 'muddy' the look of the room.

I hope this answer helps... but, please consider calling an interior decorator or designer to come for a one time only color consultation.  This is usually money well spent.  In any event, best of luck to you!!

Patriotically yours,

Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ
908-684-3900
www.juliesinteriordesigns.com

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry