Decorating & Furniture/Different Shades of White

Question
We recently purchased a contemporary townhome with vaulted ceilings.  We want to have the place painted before we move in, but I'm having trouble picking the color.  I thought we would go with a cream color, but there are so many shades of white.  Do you have any suggestions?  My furniture colors are olive and plum.  I plan to paint the kitchen soffits a gmuted, golden yellow.
Thanks.

Answer
Hello Pat,
You've got a great start in my book as you already have the kitchen color selected.

Here's my suggestion:
Take the kitchen paint chip and compare it to the whites and look at the contrast.  Take the olive and plum and find perfect matches in a paint chip and compare it to the whites.

Find the white which works best with the colors already in your palette.  If the plum and olive and the yellow is from a warm palette...your white will be warm.  You were right about a creamy white if this is so.  Don't select a gray/cool white.  Get it?  

Use your paint chips and the paint store to your advantage.  Make sure you select your paint while standing inside your home and outside in natural light.

Good luck!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID  

Decorating & Furniture