Decorating & Furniture/Dining Room Color Choices

Question
I am repainting the major community rooms in my house.  We have painted our Living Room (walls are seashell, trim is Swiss Coffee), Entry Hall/Staircase (Below chair rail Russian White, Above Seashell, Trim Swiss Coffee,Ceiling White).

I am struggling with picking color(s) for my dining room.   The dining room has two chair rails (the wall is split into 3 areas,and the ceiling is curved into the walls).  The old paint was a rusty red on the bottom, a yellowish cream in the middle and white on top.  We do not like the old colors as it makes the room kind of dreary and dark.

The rooms all have hard wood floors with a mediumtone hard wood.  The dining room table and buffet and cabinet are a dark wood and the chair are upsoltered with a tope with a slight greenish tint.   We are putting up new curtains, so that doesn't effect the decision. The house is a colonial style house.   

We love the colors in the entry hall and living room, but we want a bit more color in the dining room. My fiance favorite color is blue so we have been looking at those tones. We have tried some blue tones, some greens (Seafoam, etc), none of them are clicking.  We keep debating if we should use 3 colors, like a blue on the bottom, the seashell in the middle and white on the top (swiss coffe on the trim).   We also thought about painting one whole wall blue but I'm uncertain about that idea.

So, any ideas, opinions would be fantastic as we are now very frustrated and stuck on what colors to use.

Thanks
     Chris

Answer
Chris,

What I would do in this room is take the colors that you have used in the adjacent space and "rearrange" them for the dining room, and add the blue!  Use blue as the predominant color on all the walls.  Keep the ceiling white, paint the trim and chair rail in the swiss coffee and use the seashell shade as an accent color in accessories, fabrics, etc.  By incorporating the colors from one area to the next, you are actually color-sculpting your home.

What should be consistent throughout is your trim color.  Everything else is up to your own mixing!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik