Decorating & Furniture/Dining Room Redo

I just bought a 106 year old home. Most of it was paneled I guess in the 60's. I have painted alot of the paneling in other rooms because I really dislike it. But, in the dining room is, what I have been told by several people, is genuine oak paneling, pretty pricy at the time and too good a thing to paint over. I am willing to not paint over it but I am clueless as to how to go about redoing this room. The entire room needs done. The carpet HAS to go, I am planning on putting a pergo floor in there, the lighter the better. My goal is to have a brighter but warmer dining room. So, so far I have the dark paneling and the light floor. What can I do with lighting? The room is rectangular, 17x14. I got a bargain on furniture, which needs painted or stained, whichever you suggest. I am not thrilled about stripping and staining, especially since I got the lot for $100...a buffet, table, six chairs and a china closet. I hope I haven't confused you with all of this! Can you give me suggestions on colors for the furniture that would go with the paneling and color for curtains..wall lighting etc. Thanks so much! Jaimee

I agree - leaving the panels alone, particularly since they are solid wood is the best option.  With the $100 bargains, you should consider painting them a very soft shade of beige/taupe that will coordinate more with your flooring than the walls.  Then to tie it all together, consider adding a chair railing around the room and paint it the same color as your furniture.  Add a table sized rug to the room that incorporates all these shades and some accent color, like a cranberry or navy for richness, and you'll be totally coordinated.  It will be inviting, warm, formal yet informal and you'll achieve the look you want.

Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology