Decorating & Furniture/Dining table light fixture

Do you know of any rules, suggestions etc. re the recommended distance between the table top and bottom of light fixture ?

I have a situation where a wall/beam runs centered above the top of the table. Distance between top of table & beam bottom = 47". How low can I have the bottom of light fixture to look acceptable ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Leave 24 - 30 inches between table top and bottom of light fixture.  That range is so that you can comfortably pass food, see another person across the table without obstruction and of course it all depends on the type of fixture.  Before you install, drop a string with a tennis ball attached and see for yourself where the "light" will fall.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology