Decorating & Furniture/Dinning room decor

Hi there. I  am about to decorate my dinning room. It is approximately 12 by 11 feet. We tore up the carpet and are putting down a click lock wood floor. It is called Victorian Cherry but is not a dark cherry in colour. I have a wall unit that measures about 6 feet high by 8 feet long and is tique(wood). Our dining room table is also tique but can be covered with a table cloth. My question is what colour should I paint the wall so that the wood is not too overpowering. I was thinking of using a pure white with sage trim. My living room which adjoins onto the dining room is going to be sage with white trim. I had suggested also painting the wall cabinet white but was asked not to paint over the tique wood by my husband.
I hope I have given enough information and lok foreward to your reply.
Thank you kindly  

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Thanks too for the description of your adjoining rooms.  

I think you'll love the click-lock flooring.  I have it and find it to be wonderful.  

The walls should not be left white; that will cause too much contrast with the wood.  Since you have sage green in the adjoining room, either continue the same color, or use another complementary color for the dining room.  You could use a lovely shade of taupe (Glidden's Toasty Grey is my favorite) or even a shade of pale yellow (Glidden's Chiffon).  Either of these colors will work with your wood tones and will look awesome with the sage green.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology