Decorating & Furniture/Drowning in brown

I live in a small apartment-850 sq. feet. It has wall to wall brown
carpeting. In addition, the kitchen, which is visible from the
living room, is paneled in brown wood. As I am renting, I cannot
really change any of that. What do you suggest to lighten things
up? I don't like to layer carpets- that just makes the rooms look

Fortunately brown is a neutral color and its easy to get people eyes drawn to other things in the room. I would keep the wall color a light neutral color maybe a light tan color to bring your eyes up from the brown to the wall color. Keep baseboards white. If your carpet is a dark brown I would have large furniture not be light in color because this causes a contrast between the carpet and the large pieces of furniture. Don't be afraid to use brown in the decor of pillows and accessories because if the brown stands alone on the carpet it will then stand out. As far as making it brighter in the room, you should use white or off white drapery and add floor lamps and table lamps that uses white light. Stainless steel or metal decor can give it a clean modern look and light blues would be a nice accent color with the brown. Hope this information helps. Good Luck.

Rachel Mallon  

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book