Decorating & Furniture/Early 20th Century Decorating Style

Dear Jenny,

I am about to move into a new apartment on my university campus in August. However, I fear that it's going to turn into a bachelor pad (which from what I know, isn't impressive when I have a date over.) Luckilly, I recently had a turn of fortune, and I have an ample budget ($3,000-$4,000) on which I can spend on furnishings.

I'm trying to figure out exactly "what" it is I want in the living room. It's a fairly large room 11 by 17 with one medium sized window. I was thinking some sort of a pre-World War I, 1910s-era style of decorating. I am a particular fan of early 20th century post-Victorian style decor. I HATE Victorian. I don't like the flowers. But when I think of this room, I'm thinking of a stately, upper-middle class study in England. The best example I can think of is those first class staterooms on the Titanic, if you've ever seen pictures of those. I want deep colors and woods...mahogany and cherrywood are my favorites along with dark reds and blues.

If there is any direction you can give me -- tips, advice....what exactly this "style" of decor is really called, etc., it would be of greatest help.

Thanks so much,

Your description sounds very classic in style, and I agree about that choice for your 'bachelor's' pad.  Seriously, take a look at a couple of online sites and request catalogs from both: and  Both of these entities have the style you are looking for in furniture and accessories, and they will fit well within your budget.  

Manly, classic - priceless.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology