Decorating & Furniture/Eggplant and black furniture?

I'm re-decorating our dining room, and I would really like to put an eggplant color on the walls.  However, I have a long, black rectangular dining-room table in the room.  I'm wondering if this combination would be too dark.   The room is very open.  When you walk into our home, it's the first room off the left of the foyer--flanked with columns on both sides, as you enter.  There is also a large window.  We'er also planning on placing a Cellula light over the dining room table, which would sparkle things up.  Do you think the eggplant and black furniture is a bad combination?  Would adding an accent color help?

Thanks you so much for any advice!

I don't think it's too much, but it is very dramatic (and I happen to love that in a dining room).  An accent color always helps, and there are several good ones for you to use, based on your color preferences.  You can successfully incorporate:  pale icy blue, pale green - like celery or sage, gold, silver or white.  If you want more earthy tones, consider eggnog (yellowish white) or nutmeg.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology