Decorating & Furniture/Excercise room

I recently purchased a home. It has an exercise room that the past owners have painted a sort of blue green. I don't like the color, but feel limited because the floor has the soft matting which is a puzzle work of green, blue and black. The exercise room (about 14'x14') is in the basement off of a game room so it is an area that will be well used. It opens up into the laundry area and a small bath. It's all combined; there are no doors. Because of the layout there is no way to divide up the exercise room and laundry area, but I considered partial swinging doors to divide the bathroom and laundry area? I'm explaining all this because whatever I paint the exercise room, the color has to flow into the other rooms. I like neutrals and reds but it wouldn't match the exercise room floor. (The bathroom and laundry area aren't finished and have no floor laid yet) Any suggestions?

My best suggestion in this case is to use a neutral for the walls, and pull vivid color into the space with accessories.  Consider (since it's a basement) a camel brown or even a taupe.  This allows you to use most any other color you want in the adjacent space.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology