Decorating & Furniture/Exercise room color selection

Hi! We are finishing our basement and we are going to have a 14x19 exercise room. Once complete, the room will contain a hodge-podge of mis-matched free weight machines (which I plan to replace eventually). Typically grey, white and black in color. We are trying to pick a good wall color that will be motivational, while keeping the equipment from looking out of place. The carpet wil be a berber with light beige and brown. Any thoughts?

Hi Mike,

I think you should consider some shade of red.  It certainly doesn't have to be fire engine red, or heaven forbid Pink...but something in the red family will be motivational, happy, exciting and will help make your heart quicken!  Consider a cranberry shade - it'll go great with your black/grey/chrome and your carpet!

Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology