Decorating & Furniture/Exterior house colors

Question
Hi Jenny,
We live in a ranch style bungalow with attached garage.  It is red brick with white trim around the windows, black garage door, black front door and black shutters on the windows (2 bedroom windows and lge. L.R. window).  The roof is black also.  We have to have the roof replaced shortly and we're thinking that it might be a good time to repaint.  The problem is:  Do we get a black roof again or go for another color?  We were thinking maybe dk. brown.  We want to keep the white trim around the windows but wonder if we got a different color roof, what color would we paint the garage door, front door and shutters.  And could the front door be painted a different color than the garage & shutters.  Also, the house faces north if that matters.
Hope I've included all the info that you need and thanks in advance for your help.

Kathy

Answer
Hi Kathy.  Thanks for writing.  Depending on what part of the country you live in, you may want to consider your weather as a factor in deciding on a roof color.  If you live in a predominantly cold area a darker roof attracts and absorbs the sun.  By the same token if you live in an area like Florida, you would be better off using a paler shade.  

Since you're obviously looking for some color coordination, you might consider using the brown roof and painting the shutters and doors a different color (not black).  With the red brick you could use green (the color opposite of red which always works well.)  

Your shutters should all be one color, but your garage door would most likely look better painted your trim (white) color.  Your front door can be another color or the same as your shutters.  

Hope this gives you some assistance.  Write back if you need anything further!

Regards and blessings,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik