Decorating & Furniture/Exterior paint color

I was wondering if you could help me with choosing an exterior color for our new home being built.  Most of the houses around us are all in the neutrals from white, taupe, and grey, off white, brown and vary in color.  We want our house to stick out.  We are having a stone chimmeny which will already make it stick out more.  We are a corner lot and the people on either side of us are building and one is going with a brighter blue and the other with red siding. So they will really stick out.  How do we compete with the colors and make ours the most noticeable since we will be selling it. We were thinking maybe an olive green?  Any suggestions would help! Thanks so much

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  If you are building the home just to resell it, consider painting the outside a warm (not mustardy) yellow.  A medium range shade is best. Trim it in white, and paint your door either red (dark like a burgandy), in black enamel or in a vibrant green (dark moss or hunter green).

Olive green is ok too, just be sure to trim it in white and contrast the front door color.  

I believe you want to have "curb appeal" rather than to stand out.  Your neighbors on either side will draw enough attention.  You need to appeal to the most people, and yellow is a welcoming color.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology