Decorating & Furniture/Exterior paint colors.

We moved into a 5 year old Spanish style house.  It has Tera cotta tile roof, and a creamy stucco.  The previous owners painted the garage doors (there are 2), and the double front doors, and a side facing set of French doors all a chocolate brown, which is in a horrible state due to oxidation.  The house faces West, and gets harsh afternoon sun in the summer.  I wanted to paint the doors all white.  Looking at the house, it has a taupe shade on some architectural features that I will call Eyebrows over the windows. They are about 5 inches from top to bottom and gently curve over the windows, and garage doors. It has dawned on me that the doors do not have to be white, in order not to soak up the sun.  They could be the same value as the "eyebrows", or could be a shade or two darker, or lighter.  Which way should I go, darker or lighter?  I Should say that the eaves are painted a drabber brown than the Chocolate that is oxidizing on the doors.  There is also a brighter chocolate on the shutters of the main front window, which is a bedroom.  Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks for the question.  My recommendation on painting garage doors is that they be the "house" color, rather than the trim color.  Why?  Because I don't think MOST garage doors offer the architectural detail that a "trim" should offer.  Now there are exceptions, like solid wood stained doors, but the run of the mill garage door is nothing that should have attention drawn to it.  

By way of a direct answer to your question, you could paint the garage doors the "eyebrow" shade, or the creamy shade of your stucco.  

Regardless, your double front doors, your French doors and the shutters can be an accent color of your choice, and you're right - the taupe shade will reflect rather than gather heat.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology