Decorating & Furniture/Extreme Space Challenge!

Question
Hi, I was hoping you could help me with figuring out how to best “furnish/decorate” my place. I rent a small guest house and have been here for about 5 yrs now. It's small and a few features of the house make it very difficult to utilize the space well. I've included a rough ASCII drawing of the floor plan I hope you can read. One of the more difficult things about the place is a small cast iron wood burning heater in the middle of the living room/kitchen that really poses a problem with furniture, and also a built-in seat in one corner of the living room/kitchen that pretty much makes that area useless, well at least for anything I can think of. Another feature is a shelf that runs around the entire living room/kitchen and bedroom about 18” from the ceiling, the wall that is between the living room and bedroom only goes up to this shelf, above that it is open to the other room.
I have a large king size bed that takes up most of the bedroom. The walkthrough closet has room for clothes on both sides as well as drawers so a dresser is not needed. Aside from the desk shown of the plan the only other piece of furniture I have is a small recliner in the middle of the living room area. I'm not opposed to getting new furniture if needed though the budget for it would be low. I wish I could actually remodel the place but unfortunately since I rent that isn't an option. Well I guess that's it, quite the challenge huh? Below is the description of the house and the drawing below that. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Brian.

The house is 20' x 20' and is divided in to a living room/kitchen, a bedroom, and a walkthrough closet to the bathroom. Entering from the front door in the center of the south wall the living room/kitchen is 20' wide by 10' deep. The kitchen is an “L” shape in the upper right corner slightly inset into the north wall to make the counter “flush” with the rest of the wall, lower right is a built-in “L” shaped seat. Opposite the front door and offset a little to the left is the door to the bedroom, it is 10' x 10'. On the right wall at the far corner is the doorway to the walkthrough closet and through that is the bathroom.

_______NNNNN_NNNNN_______
I          I     I   TTI
I          I     I   TTI
I          O     P   CCI
W          O     P   CCI
W          O     P   CCI
W          I     ISSSSSI
I          I     ISSSSSI
I          I____________
I          ICCCCCCCCCCCI
________DDD_ICCCCCCCCCCCI
ITT          CCW
ITT          CCW
IKK          CCI
IKK          XX     RRI
IKK          XX     RRI
IKK          BI
IKKKKKK          BI
IKKKKKK          BBBBBBBI
__________WDDD___________

w = WINDOW
C = COUNTER
B = BUILTIN SEAT
R = REFRIGERATOR
N = WINDOW SEAT
D = DOOR
S = SHOWER
T = TOILET
O = OPENING
P = POCKET DOOR
X = CAST IRON WOODBURNING HEATER
K = Desk
T = 32" TV

P.S. I am a drafter by profession so if you need a better drawing...   :-)

Answer
You indeed have a challenge in front of you but it appears you've dealt with this -- or perhaps just lived with it -- for 5 years.  

For your bedroom, center the bed in the middle of the room, allowing access all around it (if you have a hollywood frame, this is easy.)  

If you want to add a recliner to the living area, it will have to sit on an angle facing the television.  

If you can get the landlord to remove the stove, you'll have a lot more room to work!  Good luck.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik