Decorating & Furniture/FURNITURE AND LIGHTING PLACEMENT

Question
I have a large window in my dining room but it is not centered in the room. Opposite the window is the large entrance into the kitchen. Opposite the entrance to the kitchen is a large opening into the family room. This makaes a failry open floor plan.

I centered the dining table on the area rug which is centered infront of the window. I was going to center the lighting above the table. I have a lowboy 25 inches to the right of the dining table and a buffet table 50 inches to the left of the dining table.

My sister said I should ignore the window and center the table in the room and then center the lighting above the table.  If I so that, then when you look into the room from outside, everything is off center.

Now, I'm not sure what to do.  

Answer
Mary Ann,

Thanks for writing.

You diffinatly need to center the table and light to the room. Because the table is such a big fixture to the room, if you off center it, it will look like the rooms is leaning to one side and your furniture balance will be off.

Good luck.

Ben

Decorating & Furniture

Benjamin Cottrell