Decorating & Furniture/Fake windows

Question
I once saw a show where the "windows" installed in the basement were really fake with artificial lighting behind them. They gave the illusion of a real window with sunlight coming in and did not make the basement look so dark. I want to do this in my basement but I don't know how it was done. Can you help me?

Denise

Answer
Hi Denise,

This is a technique called Trompe L'oeil, a french term meaning literally "to fool the eye".  This can be done through stenciling (www.dresslerstencils.com) through a faux paint technique (www.fauxlikeapro.com) or by simply "faking" a window with furnishings.  By using a shade attached to the wall at a window height, a set of curtains and a light source (tap lights?) attached to the wall behind the shade, you can create the appearance of a window.  If you try this technique, be sure all the "windows" are the same height, and that all your curtains/draperies etc. match.

Thanks for writing and for your question.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik