Decorating & Furniture/Family Room Arrangement

I have a family room that is 18 by 16. The problem is I have no walls. There is a step down standard doorway from the kitchen with a 9 ft wall to the left, then a 10ft glass doorway/window to the outside deck centered on the 18ft wall, around the corner to the 16ft wall is filled by the fireplace and two side windows, followed by the 16ft wall that has a set of 6ft french doors centered in it.  My dilemma is how to place my furniture, including the TV and focusing on the fireplace which we use from Nov through March/April. I have seen numerous pictures of various arrangements but none include the tv. Right now we have 1 sofa, 1 recliner, 1 coffee table and 1 end table.  I also have a cedar chest and a corner curio cabinet in the room. The curio is in the corner to the right of the kitchen doorway and the cedar chest is on the wall to the left of the kitchen door. Our sofa is at an angle about 3 feet off the 9ft wall facing the TV which is the the left corner of the fireplace and the recliner is in the right corner. I have arranged it at least four or five different ways and can't get what I really like.
Please offer any suggestions!! Thanks Diana

Diana, Thanks for writing and for your questions.  Try putting the sofa where it will face the fireplace, and let it float in the space.  Put your cedar chest behind the sofa - facing the kitchen area.  This way it can be used as a console table.  Put the recliner on the right hand side of the couch, angled toward the television.  To help balance the space, you may want to put the curio on the left hand side (closer to the kitchen than the fireplace.)  This arrangement should allow everyone a view of the fireplace and a view of the television.  I know it means that you'll be walking into the room toward the back of the couch, but you can make your cedar chest more useful and purposeful by backing it to the sofa.  

Hope this helps you.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology