Decorating & Furniture/Family Room Color

I have a earth tone brown color wall(cafe caramal or cardboard color to be precise).My curtains are beige color.What color should i go for the sofa?

Hi Renee

How brave are you when it comes to colour?

Personally I love orange with brown and think that an orange sofa and perhaps one orange feature wall or fireplace would be stunning.

On the other hand, you could maybe go for a sofa which was also in a shade of brown and then add some colour to the room with rugs, cushions and/or window treatments.

I think most bright colours would 'go' but orange, bright red and shocking pink would all be great.

If you pick red for example, use red, brown and beige as your basic colour palette and choose fabric for cushions or pillows that have different patterns but all use the same colours - red and brown stripes, brown and beige check and red, brown and beige floral for example.

This page will give you an idea what I mean:

If you plan on making the cushion covers yourself, this page will give you a quick and easy idea:

Be bold!

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit