Decorating & Furniture/Family room decor

Hi Jenny,
I am very excited to see this site. Here's my question - We have a large family room/kitchen which has wood cabinets which are dark in color and a floor with black tiles. We keep our computer desk in the family room which is in beech color (does not match with the cabinets and is very light in color).  The room has lot of sunlight - a baywindow, sliding glass door and 3 large windows. I need help in picking colors that would make the room more light, remove the affect of the dark cabinets and dark floors. Can you please suggest colors that I can use for a sofa, curtains and a rug. We like the modern, sleek and contemporary look.

Thanks a lot for your help.

If you're happy with the beechwood, then purchase tables to match.  As for upholstered furniture, keep your colors neutral and plain.  Add color to the walls - select your favorite shade or use a neutral like taupe or grey.  Either of these colors will allow your furniture and wall art to take center stage.  

Nothing will remove the effect of the dark cabinets and floors, but by adding some bold color in "spots" around the room, you will draw the attention there.  If you like red - any bold shade - like cranberry, use it in rugs for the floor, canisters or as a flower arrangement/vase, and spread that color around the room.  You don't have to add a lot; the eye automatically goes to color.  

Add this accent color (even if you choose something other than a red) in your adjoining rooms, and carry a bit of the black into the family room with candlesticks or a frame.  Cross-pollinating the colors will go a long way in making your home cohesive and soothingly continuous.  

Use your bold colors, stripes, florals and/or geometrics in accessories rather than upholstery.  Curtains, drapes, rugs, throw pillows etc. are easier and more economical to replace when and if your preferences change.  

If you like modern, sleek and contemporary, concentrate on taupes, black, aubergine (purple/eggplant) reds and sagey or celery greens.  Visit for some great area rugs in contemporary styling, as well as some unique furniture options.

PS:  Don't forget silver/pewter.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology