Decorating & Furniture/Fireplace mantel

We moved into our new home several months ago and I am looking for suggestions for the fireplace mantel.  The face of the fireplace is pewter surrounded by black granite and has a black granite hearth.  The mantel and sides are white.  My living room is a sand color with light neutral carpet and burgundy sheer drapes.  I was going to use a preserved topiary but was afraid they would look artificial.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for writing and for your question.  The topiary sounds fine to me.  I'd "pull" the black and the pewter from the surround to the mantel to tie it all together.  This can be done with a black or pewter candlestick, or put the topiary in either a black or pewter pot and use the other color for the candle holder.  Cross-pollination of color always works well.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology