Decorating & Furniture/Flooring that works with my current Furniture

I currently have modern medium brown wood furniture in my bedroom. My walls are painted an earthy green color. I want to install hardwood floors, what color would go well with this combination.

Hi, and thank you for writing!  From what you describe (not a real lot to go on, but I will do my very best!!) it sounds like one of a few things would work: 1) depending on your budget, and considering the fact that your furniture is modern, AND that your paint is green, you might want to install a NATURAL bamboo floor (it is pretty hard/durable and VERY sharp looking.)  This will provide you with a light color, and therefore contrast, to the brown furniture and the green paint.  OR...2) you could install good old red or white oak and, either leave them with no stain (just polyurethane) or a gentle pecan stain.  That will make the wood go to a soft golden color and prevent much of the 'orange' look that oak will oftentimes turn into.

If you are still having trouble, go to your local wood floor provider, take a drawer from your night stand or dresser, and a sample of your paint.  Look at the colors OUTSIDE... stores are most oftentimes lit with flourescent lights which will significantly change how you see the color.  Whenever you are choosing colors for your home, go outside to see how they really look or interact with each other.
Best of luck to you,
Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry

In the past 22 years, I have assisted countless residential (and some commercial) clients in the design and decorating of their homes. Within reason, I can assist on ANY question for the interior of your home. From design of a new home or addition, to layout, color, truly custom window treatments or just accessorizing... as our brochure says... from ceiling to floor, windows to walls and EVERYTHING in between... if it is for the Interior of your home, call Julie's Interior Designs. Well... you don't have to call, just write and ask!

With twenty two years of experience, 18 of them self employed with a large showroom/retail store and great staff on my team, there is little I/we haven't encountered. For several years I enjoyed being the on air "Home Editor" of the local cable station and have written a column in several local newspapers for years. Taught Interior Design at the college level. My work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. This is the greatest job on earth, and not nearly as easy at it looks...

William Paterson College, NJ, Ramapo College NJ, Continuing Education with trade periodicals, etc.

Multiple for custom window treatments, best local business in our county (located in northwestern NJ,) best home furnishing store in our county, etc.