Decorating & Furniture/Formal living & dining room

Question
We have just reinvented our oblong living room space as well as,the (2)adjoining hallways & the new guest bath.The oblong room,happens to be at the very front of our home w/the first hallway, & bath are off to the rightside.The second hallway is up a level and returns off to the right to the (2) guest bedrooms.To the left is a spiral staircase which takes you to a loft area.

There is no real formal entry way once in our home.However,we do have a beutiful oval leaded glass door w/(2)sidelites which,is center of the oblong room. On either side of the Front doorway we have(2)bay windows which,happen to be under a very large covered porch area.

We live in the country and are lucky to have beutiful trees as a back drop. On entering our home, we've turned the right half of the space into a formal dining room and the left side into a formal living room.

I believe,the total space equals about 400sq.ft.

We now have tray ceilings throughout the space which gives us alot more height.Also, we've installed rope & 4-5"recessed lighting w/chrome trim kits around the perimeter which,are on dimmers.

Over the antique walnut 60" round dining table not including extensions, we've installed a chandalier that has a wrought iron design w/a rusty brick patina with a beutiful/dramatic concrete base.We've installed candelabra bulbs & a ceiling medallion above.

To the right of the dining room table and the back wall of the dining room space/bathroom wall we've created a niche w/an archtop design and bumped out columns made out of drywall to looklike wood w/recessed lighting in the center.The niche is approx.6-7ft W.We've put an antique buffet in this space.

In addition,we've also relocated our lower level stair case which is now, in the front of our home.This area, also has a tray ceiling with recessed lighting on dimmers w/ a bowl type chandalier in the same wrought iron rusty patina.

Now,we've a custom new curved staircase going down to an unfininshed lower level(next project) that is beutiful. The wrought iron railing is Tuscany inspired with a bronze fininsh.We've had all new drywall installed in these areas & we've made archways w/key stones over doorways & even built out other return walls as if they were wood columns.

The two rooms have wide crown molding at the ceiling and a 5" wide base trim that has carved detail. The lower portion of the walls have a thick chunky chair rail and also moldings we used for making panel details throughout the space including halls and a guest bath.

On the leftside, of the oblong room, we've a wood burning firplace.We've customized the fireplace with a wood panel above fireplace w/ a fluted molding perimeter that makes a picture frame w/ corner medallions for added beuty.The new mantel has been custom made useing crown moldings to match the room and main doorway.There's fluted molding down the lower sides of the fireplace that create a column like effect w/ the base molding we used in the room.The fireplace has a seat and also a wood panel front. On the front of the wood panel we've applied a decorative wood grape/fruit design medallion. We've installed Giallo San Fransisco granite on the face of the fireplace
& on the seat.The fireplace opening is in the shape of an arch.This will be the focal point of the room.

All of the rooms wood,trim,moldings,columns,    doors,bay windows,fireplace & ceilings have been painted in Elephant Tusk, by Sherwin Williams.
The walls have been painted a Norwhich Brown , by Sherwin Williams.

The floor is a 3/4" hand scraped look 5 3'4" pine floor with a chestnut stain and low sheen.

The bath area: walking into the narrow  space,to the Rt.is an arch over the tub area w/hand held shower.We've installed Travertine tile as a surround to the tub w/a decorative chocalate brown diamond pattern travertine inset.The tub's far side is the knee wall concealing the toilet area. There's a pedastal sink across on adjacent wall from toilet. Currently we have hardwiring for sconce lights not purchased yet. The room has (1) leaded glass oval window in between the sink and toilet.On the Left side of doorway there's an open arched niche. The room has the same panel molding details w/ crowm molding. Fixtures are oil rubbed bronze. The same paint was used. The arch areas & panel moldongs left Elephant Tusk & major walls Norwhich Brown.

Our furniture's been aquired through our many weekend anique trips. Recently, we purchased a beutiful damask creme colored sofa & chair. The style is elegant w/ carving details in a dark walnut finish. The deatils are more like square lions claw feet and there's other carving details around sides,arms and front of both. We're thinking this is Italianate design. We love it! What a find. The sofa and chair have an arched design and tufted back.The pieces are in exceptional condition and have been preserved very well. Very comfortable and looks very inviting.

Also, we've been given a cocktail table from our parents that's of unique design. The base is made of concrete and creme fininsh w/ a fruit basket design with grapes and a heavy glass top.

We had two french country type olive/sage green fabric chairs in a medium wood tone finish as well as,an antique small round taller occassional table in dark walnut. Very unique w/graceful carvings. Also an antique leather top round drum table in good condition.

For extra lighting there's an antique ivory Lenox lamp with a glass cylinder like globe that's quite unique & two newer oil rubbed bronze torchier floor lamps.

We've a very old antique plant stand in dk walnut with a bronze bust statue of a composer.We alos have a marble small goddess staue on the firplace in white marble. On the fireplace mantel we've a large victorian painting of musicians and a victorian women dancing. Very antique & ornate w/ a goldish carved frame & some bronze tones. The colors in the painting are oranges, greens some yellow tones but, very soft. Also,we've an antique picture with a tusk colored carved frame a little smaller size which is a colorful floral arrangement in bright orange,reds and deeper colores.

On the dining room side,in the niche area, ontop of buffet we've set an antique large carved mirror in gold it does have a slight patina in bronze. Not real noticeable. The mirror is very large mirror& it's as long as the buffet. On either side of the buffet we've very little space left in the niche.

For our windows we've (4) panels of beutiful hotel draperies. we just love. They're lined & are a soft goldish color with a satin reverse stripe. Beutiful.The curtains have a pleating effect but not hard pleats.The curtains are extra long and they'll be ale to puddle and poof if tied back.

We're at the end of the remodel and would like to use our existing items to create a twist of Tuscany/ Old World/ Victorian parlor inspired room.We are willing to incorporate as well as use items we've given you. We like rusty oranges, sage greens and the bolder darker colors.

Our dilema is we need to pull it all together with color,arrangeing of furniture & area rugs. We would like to add another color as a topper (scarf)to our beutiful curtains and also need rods. The remainder of the home has taken on the European flair as well. The kitchen/great room has a slate floor with dark green,coppers,browns & even some blue greens. The walls are currently a mustard color but, considering going into a bolder color like, terra cotta's or a version of rust tones. We would also like to faux finish the fireplace a tea stained technique for a more warmer look that looks aged. The dining room set we currently have has chairs with cane backing but,in good condition the seats need new fabric.We'd like a table cloth that goes to the floor for an elegant look w/ a topper and need a centerpiece idea. As well as,needing ideas for the buffet and firplace mantel. The stairway walls are blank as well.

Our goal is to tie it all together even the halls & bath. This way, we can make it a very beutiful & welcoming country home that'll be comfortable & yet create a relaxing party atmosphere.We'd llike to keep the rooms on  more casual/formal side for entertaining our friends and family. Fyi,we've easy access to the kitchen and are currently working on a beverage center for entertaining in either area of our home.

Hoping you can get through all of the details as we've tried to be as informative as we could.

Hope you can help!

Thank you,
Dawn & Mike Sylvester  

Answer
You have the world of color at your disposal.  While you mention your trim color, you didn't mention (or I missed it) your wall colors.  Select three of your favorite colors and work within that color pallette.  If rustic, tuscan etc. works for you, include the terra cotta shades as well as beige.  As long as you coordinate your colors from room to room, you'll be fine.  Just don't make the mistake of over-doing everything else and leaving the walls white.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik