Decorating & Furniture/Furniture Arranging

Question
I am a Family and Consumer Science teacher and am experimenting with these on line expert services  as part of an on line class I am taking and for possible future use in the classroom. My question to you is do you have any furniture arranging rules and/or secrets that you use when designing a room? I have been unable to find a lot of info on this subject, can you help or can you recommend any other sources for info that would help my students? Thanks! Ginny

Answer
Ginny,

BHG.com (Better Homes & Gardens) offers a free room layout on their website which allows you to select furniture pieces (based upon size) and place them in a room.  The room is of a size of your choosing as well, so it is a great space planning tool.

You'll find information galore on space planning, and that's where you should look.  

You'll be happy to know that space planning is really not as much an art as a science; the art comes in the "vision" of the arrangement and it's possibilities.  Decor rules are not hard and fast, nor are there really "rules" per se.  We deal more with guidelines and sensibility.

Good luck in your search.  Enjoy that journey.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik