Decorating & Furniture/Furniture in a Long Room

Hi Rachel.  I hope you can give me some ideas.  We are transforming our dining room/ living room area into one large family room.  The room is long.  We would like the entertainment unit on one end where the dining cabinet was (the wall is concaved for this purpose so we thought it would work for a small entertainment unit.)  We are not sure how to set up our couches and we plan to buy more.  We would like a cozy area around the tv/ unit but it leaves the other half of the room.  I hope I make sense.  A couch on the opposite side would be way to far to see the tv.  I am not sure.  Let me know if you have any ideas or if I confused you.  Thanks, DIna

Dear Dina,
I have just a few questions before I can give you some advice. Please email to

1.)What are the dimensions of the room?
2.)What peices of furniture are going in the room?
3.)Would you want to rearrange the furniture so you have two seperate seating areas?
4.)If not, is there any other furniture you might want to add like a writing desk?
5.)Where are doors and windows located?

Thank you,
Rachel Mallon
RM Decor

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book